History of WyseGlass Specialties, Inc.
Wyse Glass Specialties, Inc. was founded in 1949 by Willard Wyse when he was asked by a chemical company if he would provide them with much needed scientific glassblowing services. Willard had been a glassblower for several years and decided it was a great opportunity. He started a small glass shop in the back room of a friend’s butcher shop in Pigeon, MI. After several years of driving back and forth from Pigeon to Midland to pick up and deliver glassware along with a growing workload, Willard decided he needed more room and a better location. A move to Midland soon followed. Having the larger shop and an ever increasing workload provided the need for another full time glassblower.
Willard hired Earl Sprague, a young glassblower, in 1968 to help him. By this time, Wyse Glass was providing glassblowing services for chemical companies, the steel industry and the dairy industry all across the United States. In 1972, Wyse had again outgrown his shop and built the current 2200 sq. foot shop facility. Willard retired and sold the business to Earl in 1976, but worked summers helping out for many years. Earl soon after hired part and full time employees to help him out, as the company was still expanding. In 1986, Earl’s son, Chris, was hired into the business to provide drafting services and start a glassblowing apprenticeship. With more space needed a second building for stock and storage was added in the early 90’s increasing space to 4400 sq. feet. In 1996 Earl semi retired and turned business ownership over to Chris. Earl still helps Chris out in the shop today.
Wyse Glass Specialties, Inc. currently provides custom glassware and glassblowing services to companies in the United States, Canada, Spain, Singapore and Japan.